* Project: NY Batten Kill Lantern 2018?
* Location: Batten Kill some distance below Eagleville Covered Bridge off Rte 313 in Jackson, NY.
* Time frame: August 2016? Fundraising underway.
* Partners: U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, NY Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Washington County Soil, Water, & Conservation District, Clearwater & Adirondack Chapters of Trout Unlimited, & private landowners.
* Problem description: The problems along this section of the Batten Kill are the lack of cover and shelter for the trout and banks that are eroding or in danger of eroding. The riverbed tends to be over wide and shallow. We have already worked both upstream and downstream of this section, so it would be great to fill in the gap.
* Planned project work: This project will improve trout habitat and stabilize banks through the installation of structures of wood and stone. We would install some kind of bankful bench in the upper area, and then log/rock vanes further down. Then we would actually go downstream and renovate some of the structures installed right before Tropical Storm Irene
* Photos: First there are Jim Pinheiro and Jason Smith of NY DEC checking where the bank shelf with wood would go, then a useful rock ledge that is functioning well, and then Carl Schwartz of US FWS next to a structure installed further downstream that Tropical Storm Irene pulled apart, but the wood was too big for her floodwaters to take away -- we can re do it.