* Project: McCABE REACH: Batten Kill Habitat Restoration VT 2014
* Location: This is a section of the BK several bends downstream of the Covered Bridge in West Arlington, where the BK goes from very close to Rte 313 to very close to River Road. in West Arlington. [See "Past Projects" for the restoration areas from previous years 2007 through 2013.]
* Time frame: September 2014 -- completed.
* Partners: Green Mountain National Forest, VT Fish & Wildlife Department, Bennington County Conservation District, Southwest Vermont Trout Unlimited, The Trout & Salmon Foundation, and thanks to landowners McCabe, Bowen, Levine, & Wilcox.
* Problem description: This Batten Kill reach was deficient in cover and shelter for trout habitat here as in many other places, and there was an area that was causing a problem of erosion and excess sedimentation.
* Planned project work: About eight "convoy" structures of wood and stone were installed in a line running from 313 towards River Road, and then one more further downstream. Large boulders were installed in the fast currents along River Road for velocity refuge. These structures will function to provide cover and shelter and improve trout habitat. In addition an eroding bank on the field off River Road was stabilized. function to improve dynamics and stabilize banks.
Photos of possible project sites shown along with reminders of why we are engaging in this endeavor, followed by the excavator with stockpiled stone, and then a picture of Scott Wixsom of GMNF walking away from a newly installed "convoy" of whole trees weighted down with wood in the foreground, and then a side view of a convoy up against the 313 embankment.